Friday, December 10, 2010

Quick and Slick DuPont Ride

The weather was great and I had nothing to do, so I headed down 276 and hit DuPont from the Corn Mill Shoals parking lot. This was my first ride back from my groin injury, so I wanted to sort of take it easy. I rode Corn Mill Shoals>Burnt Mtn>Corn Mill Shoals>Little River>Cedar Rock(1st one)>Big Rock>Corn Mill Shoals>Longside>Pine Tree>Cascade Lake Rd.>Rock Quarry Rd.>Micajah>Wilkie>Cascade Lake Rd. It was a nice little loop. I was able to ride all of Burnt Mtn for the first time ever, finally not being freaked out by the rocky downhill section that isn't that hard, but is quite steep. My groin felt pretty good, but did start to get sore towards the end of the ride, right around Longside.

It was good to be riding the Lazer Cat again. Every new bike has a bit of an adjustment period, before the bike really just feels like an extension of yourself. Today got me one ride closer to that feeling. It feels more and more right with every ride.

Every time I ride Cedar Rock/Big Rock, I am absolutely in awe of the scenery. It is such a unique place, and never fails to give me the inner peace I'm looking for in the mountains. The ride up was a bit sketchy in places, because the slick rock was made a bit slicker with solid sheets of ice across it in parts, but it was nothing a little detouring couldn't fix.

While I was pushing up Cedar Rock, I reflected a bit on the past year and I realized that there has been a whole lot of change going on. I finished law school, took and passed the bar exam, we moved to Brevard, and I started practicing law on my own. It's really been a pretty crazy year. Looking forward, I'm confident that 2011 is going to be the year that it all comes together, after many years in limbo. I'm sure there will still be more change, hopefully in the form of a home purchase, but I think stability will finally be coming into our lives. One sure sign of that is that we absolutely love it here.

Enough of that; here are the few pics I took on the ride:

IMG_0990

IMG_0992

IMG_0996

IMG_0997

IMG_0998

No comments:

Post a Comment