Thursday, December 15, 2011

Elusive Cedar Rock

This post is a little late, so I won't be too wordy with it. I was able to get into the Forest both days last weekend. On Saturday, I rode from the Ranger Station, and did 276>477>Clawhammer>Black>Buckwheat>Bennett>477>276. It was a really nice ride, and I felt like I had the Forest to myself.

Buckhorn Shelter

Black Mountain Trail

Club Gap

View from Bennett Gap Trail

View from Bennet Gap Trail

On Sunday, Heather and I decided to see if we could figure out how to get up to Cedar Rock from Butter Gap. We started out on what I'm pretty sure is the correct trail, and took it to the left when it got steep. This is where we ended up:

IMG_1414

IMG_1415

There was no really obvious way up the rock face, and it was kinda wet, and I really didn't feel like killing myself, so we went back down a bit, and took a less obvious right route when it got steep. This time, we ended up here:

IMG_1416

IMG_1419

Again, no obvious way up, so we hung out and had a snack, before descending back down to the gap. We then decided to take another unmarked trail from there, and ended up at the base of Cedar Rock, where there are some climbing routes. This was a fun place to just play around.

IMG_1424

IMG_1425

IMG_1426

So we never did make it to the top of Cedar Rock. From what I've read, you basically have to scramble up the rock face to get there from this side, and there are supposedly some "steps" carved into the rock, but I didn't see them. I think we'll just start at the hatchery next time and come up the other side.

1 comment:

  1. It is easy to get to the top of Cedar Rock from Sandy Gap on the Art Loeb coming from the other direction. I tried to go down the trail you went up following old flagging tape but it turned into an all out bushwhack. I eventually hit the Art Loeb again but not exactly where I hoped to.

    ReplyDelete